I gather[a] my myrrh with my spices.
I eat my honeycomb with my honey.
I drink my wine with my milk.
Drink, be intoxicated with love![b]
A sound! My love is knocking!
my dove, my perfect one.
For my head is drenched with dew,
my hair with droplets of the night.
How can I put it back on?
I have washed my feet.
How can I get them dirty?
4 My love thrust his hand through the opening,
and my feelings were stirred for him.
5 I rose to open for my love.
My hands dripped with myrrh,
my fingers with flowing myrrh
on the handles of the bolt.
6 I opened to my love,
but my love had turned and gone away.
I was crushed[c] that he had left.[d]
I sought him, but did not find him.
I called him, but he did not answer.
7 The guards who go about the city found me.
They beat and wounded me;
they took my cloak[e] from me—
the guardians of the walls.
8 Young women of Jerusalem, I charge you:
if you find my love,
tell him that I am lovesick.
most beautiful of women?
What makes him better than another,
that you would give us this charge?
notable among ten thousand.
11 His head is purest gold.
His hair is wavy[g]
and black as a raven.
12 His eyes are like doves
beside streams of water,
washed in milk
and set like jewels.[h]
13 His cheeks are like beds of spice,
towers of[i] perfume.
His lips are lilies,
dripping with flowing myrrh.
14 His arms[j] are rods of gold
set[k] with topaz.[l]
His body[m] is an ivory panel
covered with sapphires.
15 His legs are alabaster pillars
set on pedestals of pure gold.
His presence is like Lebanon,
as majestic as the cedars.
16 His mouth is sweetness.
He is absolutely desirable.
This is my love, and this is my friend,
young women of Jerusalem.
- Song of Solomon 5:1 Lit pluck
- Song of Solomon 5:1 Or Drink your fill, lovers
- Song of Solomon 5:6 Lit My soul went out
- Song of Solomon 5:6 Or spoken
- Song of Solomon 5:7 Or veil, or shawl
- Song of Solomon 5:10 Or is radiant and ruddy
- Song of Solomon 5:11 Or is [like] palm leaves; Hb obscure
- Song of Solomon 5:12 Lit milk sitting in fullness
- Song of Solomon 5:13 LXX, Vg read spice, yielding
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Lit hands
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Lit filled; Sg 5:2,12
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Probably yellow topaz
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Lit abdomen