To the seven churches in Asia.
Grace and peace to you from[g] the One who is, who was, and who is coming; from the seven spirits[h] before His throne; 5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
To Him who loves us and has set us free[i] from our sins by His blood, 6 and made us a kingdom,[j] priests[k] to His God and Father—the glory and dominion are His forever and ever. Amen.
and every eye will see Him,
including those who pierced[l] Him.
And all the families of the earth[m][n]
will mourn over Him.[o][p]
This is certain. Amen.
8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “the One who is, who was, and who is coming, the Almighty.”
John’s Vision of the Risen Lord
9 I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation, kingdom, and endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of God’s word and the testimony about Jesus.[q] 10 I was in the Spirit[r][s] on the Lord’s day,[t] and I heard a loud voice behind me like a trumpet 11 saying, “Write on a scroll[u] what you see and send it to the seven churches: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.”
12 I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me. When I turned I saw seven gold lampstands, 13 and among the lampstands was One like the Son of Man,[v] dressed in a long robe and with a gold sash wrapped around His chest. 14 His head and hair were white like wool—white as snow—and His eyes like a fiery flame. 15 His feet were like fine bronze as it is fired in a furnace, and His voice like the sound of cascading[w] waters. 16 He had seven stars in His right hand; a sharp double-edged sword came from His mouth, and His face was shining like the sun at midday.[x]
17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. He laid His right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last, 18 and the Living One. I was dead, but look—I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades. 19 Therefore write what you have seen, what is, and what will take place after this. 20 The secret of the seven stars you saw in My right hand and of the seven gold lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels[y] of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands[z] are the seven churches.
- Revelation 1:1 Or Revelation of, or A revelation of
- Revelation 1:1 Or soon
- Revelation 1:1 Made it known through symbols
- Revelation 1:2 Or witness
- Revelation 1:2 Lit as many as he saw
- Revelation 1:3 Or follow, or obey
- Revelation 1:4 Other mss add God
- Revelation 1:4 Or the sevenfold Spirit
- Revelation 1:5 Other mss read has washed us
- Revelation 1:6 Other mss read kings and
- Revelation 1:6 Or made us into (or to be) a kingdom of priests; Ex 19:6
- Revelation 1:7 Or impaled
- Revelation 1:7 Or all the tribes of the land
- Revelation 1:7 Gn 12:3; 28:14; Zch 14:17
- Revelation 1:7 Or will wail because of Him
- Revelation 1:7 Dn 7:13; Zch 12:10
- Revelation 1:9 Lit the witness of Jesus
- Revelation 1:10 Or in spirit; lit I became in the Spirit
- Revelation 1:10 John was brought by God’s Spirit into a realm of spiritual vision.
- Revelation 1:10 Sunday
- Revelation 1:11 Or book
- Revelation 1:13 Or like a son of man
- Revelation 1:15 Lit many
- Revelation 1:16 Lit like the sun shines in its power
- Revelation 1:20 Or messengers
- Revelation 1:20 Other mss add that you saw