7 Now the end of all things is near; therefore, be serious and disciplined for prayer. 8 Above all, maintain an intense love for each other, since love covers a multitude of sins.[k] 9 Be hospitable to one another without complaining. 10 Based on the gift each one has received, use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. 11 If anyone speaks, it should be as one who speaks God’s words; if anyone serves, it should be from the strength God provides, so that God may be glorified through Jesus Christ in everything. To Him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen.
12 Dear friends, don’t be surprised when the fiery ordeal[l] comes among you to test you as if something unusual were happening to you. 13 Instead, rejoice as you share in the sufferings of the Messiah, so that you may also rejoice with great joy at the revelation of His glory. 14 If you are ridiculed for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.[m] 15 None of you, however, should suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or a meddler.[n] 16 But if anyone suffers as a “Christian,” he should not be ashamed but should glorify God in having that name. 17 For the time has come for judgment to begin with God’s household, and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who disobey the gospel of God?
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?[o]
19 So those who suffer according to God’s will should, while doing what is good, entrust themselves to a faithful Creator.
- 1 Peter 4:1 Other mss read suffered for us
- 1 Peter 4:1 The phrase “in the flesh” probably means in human experience.
- 1 Peter 4:1 Or arm
- 1 Peter 4:1 Or perspective, or attitude
- 1 Peter 4:1 Or the one who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin
- 1 Peter 4:2 Lit for desires of human beings
- 1 Peter 4:3 Or Gentiles
- 1 Peter 4:4 Lit you don’t run with them into the same pouring out
- 1 Peter 4:6 Or in the flesh
- 1 Peter 4:6 Or in the spirit
- 1 Peter 4:8 Pr 10:12
- 1 Peter 4:12 Lit the burning
- 1 Peter 4:14 Other mss add He is blasphemed because of them, but He is glorified because of you.
- 1 Peter 4:15 Or as one who defrauds others
- 1 Peter 4:18 Pr 11:31 LXX